need paint help

I have a '71 BMW 2002 that is needing a paint job.  Are their any
professional painters on this list that would mind taking a few minutes and
go over the different types of paint and jobs that I should know about?  I
hear people talking about base coat and clear coat and other people that
talk about enamel and that if you shoot w/ enamel you don't need to buff the
paint, is that true?  Is the procedure of cutting and buffing only necessary
if you get junk in the paint, and what about swirl marks, is it worth the
risk.  What advice can you offer?  I can be reached at dixon@domain.elided  or
if the info would benefit the whole group, then post away.  thanx, ben