528e 1988

HI I would like to know if too much valve clearance can cause the check engine
light to go on after a long period of idle? If so would a faulty vavle clearanc
e cause a too rich fuel mixture causeing the light to go on or is it due to som
ething else?  Also What types of things should I have done or do to a 1988 528e
 after i just purchased it from an auction? I was told to adjust the valves, an
d change the timming belt..

How easy is it to change the timming belt yourself? I have worked on Chevys pre
viously and how much time would it take?

Last question regarding differential fluid.
Can I put synthetic fluid in? Other than redline I have seen people post
about Mobil 1  How is Valvoline 80-140 part synthetic part not?

Thanks

SMS
1988 528e
1972 Volvo 240 (anyone know where I can find parts for this car?)