<e36> Poor FM Reception?

Fellow Digesters:

After upgrading the stereo in my '97 328iC (new amp and speakers - see
http://ebaines.home.att.net/bmw.htm for deatils), I find that the sound
quality of CDs and cassettes is absolutely awesome - however, the sound
quality of the FM radio is not.  The FM tuner section of the head unit seems
to have difficulty pulling in stations - lots of static and fading.  For
comparison, the radio in my '86 528e has no problem at all pulling in the
same stations without static.  I am NOT interested in replacing the head
unit with a more sensitive after-market brand, but instead was wondering if
there is any way to improve reception either by using a different antenna or
adding a signal booster of some sort.  Since this car is a convertible the
radio antenna is a relatively short (16 inches or so), non-retractable
affair.  Thanks for any advice.

- -Chip Baines
BMW CCA
'97 328iC