87 535i with ignition problems

Hello to all and thank you to all who have tried to help me so far....

My car's been out of commission since Thursday.  It just died on my way to
work.

We have fuel to the fuel rail +/- 40 psi (I think it was 42?).

We have a weak spark coming from the coil.  Too weak for the car to run
(sometimes... it ran perfectly for two miles then just died again today).
The car will run fine with a spark box hooked up to the distributor cap.

The voltage on the coil seems correct.  The voltage on the crank angle sensor
seems correct.  The speed sensor and the crank angle sensors were taken out
of the bell housing and cleaned at both ends.

My mechanic and I are stumped, to say the least (too many hours diagnosing
and  $$$$)!  I'm considering taking it to the stealer, but only as a LAST
resort!@!  I'm not impressed with my dealership; however it is close.

Anyone got any ideas?  We're thinking it might be the ECU, but I've been told
it either works, or not.  I have a weak spark condition to the distributor
cap.

TIA for any ideas!

Richard
BMW CCA Member (Boston)