325i blower motor problem fixed. Useful tip follows

Re my heater-blower motor problem described in Volume 09 : Number 1266:

Well I'd just about given up trying to fix what I assumed
were siezed-up bearings on the heater motor. I tried
wd40 and oil etc to no avail. (Checked the brushes
and they were ok.

Having called around various places (dealer asked 170ukpounds
for a replacement), the best price I could get was a
second hand parts price of 55 pounds. Well as I'd nothing to lose
I'd have to regard the motor and fan assembly as scrap anyway, I tried
the following cunning plan. Warning! I'm not recommending anyone
do this - only saying what I did and what has worked
very well for me...

I took a blow torch (!) and very carefully heated the
bearing at the non-commutator end of the motor. Occasionally turning the
*yes, plastic* fan. I made sure the bearing and housing were very hot.
Suddenly the thing freed up and the rotor could be spun easily.
Repeated at the other end only not to quite the same temp, as this
heats the commutator and brush assembly too.

I hoped the whole thing wouldn't seize up again upon cooling down but it
didn't. Added
some light engine oil and waited. Re-fit to car. Three hours later it's
about freezing point outside and the whole thing works perfectly. It's
quiet as it ever was, runs smoothly even at the lowest speed as well.

Hope the above may be useful. (faq?)

- -John