325i blower motor problem

The heater blower motor on my 325i doesn't start running
unless at the 2 slowest speeds unless I turn it to maximum
and then back again. I removed
the blower motor assembly and found it was very stiff when
trying to rotate the fan.
I then tried wd40 on the bearings followed by some light oil and that
freed it up some. However it still seems quite stiff and
the problem remains (will not rotate at low speeds).

Should the fan assembly rotate quite freely? If
I spin it by hand, it stops almost immediately.

Is there something else I should check here (in the circuit
maybe)?

TIA
- -John

End of bmw-digest V9 #1266