Emissions

Sorry for the cross-post-- I'm looking to gather a few opinions (off-list,
please, I will summarize the responses to the list):

I recently purchased a '76 2002 (US model 76, 49 state).  The air pump was
missing completely, and rubber hose runs from the top of the crankcase to a
point under the car somewhere (apparently diverting the PVC system).  The
previous owner couldn't get it to pass California standards, but it did
pass the Portland, Oregon emissions test.

There are still several vacuum tubes running around, but many have been
plugged or redirected.

My questions:

1.  Are there any reasons why I shouldn't remove/plug the remaining vacuum
hoses?  Are any essential (ie the metered vacuum source from the carb to
the distributor)?

2.  Will I need to make any adjustments to compensate for the missing
equipment?

3.  Will the lack of equipment completely disqualify my car in 2001 (the
next time I need to have it tested for emissions?)

I'd prefer not to be belching black clouds of pollution, but I'd also
rather have no emissions control system than one that's half-working to
start with.

Thanks for any advice.  I will summarize any responses I get to the list.

Aaron

End of bmw-digest V9 #1260