E34 questions

Hi - I have just purchased a '90 535i, ending a 9.5 year BMW drought.
I've been reading the digest and must say there's a lot of expertise
here. I'm hoping that I can gain some benefit from it.

After a cold start (say from overnight) there's a noticeable smell of
fuel in the
passenger compartment. It dissipates quickly. Is there a leak, or is
there something else I should be looking at?

I want to replace the stock head unit, amplification and speakers. I
have a head unit, amplification and CD changer that should fit. Is there
a good reference on removal of the stock items? I know about the 2/96
Roundel article and plan to get a reprint of it. Any gotchas not covered
in that article that I should be aware of? Recommendations for speakers
to replace the stock speakers are welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Bob