Re: hydroplaning

> On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, at 23:08:51 -0400, WM wrote:
> > A few months ago, I was on the same road with much heavier
> > rain, and with the HP's up front, mounted incorrectly vis a
> > vis the direction of rotation, and some older HP's with about
> > 3/32" tread on the rear.
> > At about 55 mph, felt a shudder, and I decelerated to about 45
> > mph. 20 seconds later I was spinning around in place and then
> > vectored off the hwy onto the shoulder.

Bet you lifted quickly and completely off the throttle when you decided
to slow down. That will create a condition called trailing throttle
oversteer. I've experienced it twice at severe levels while driving in a
straight line on a slippery downhill grade. On one of those occasions, I
was lucky and didn't smash up my car...but I had NO control of the
vehicle on either occasion because I didn't know what do do. I like to
think I'm a _little_ smarter now.

A little gas pedal can help you recover. If it's really slippery,
left-foot braking with a little throttle can lock up the front wheels
enough that the car no longer wants to switch ends.

To prevent trailing throttle oversteer, back off the throttle slowly
when you want to reduce speed. Be gentle.

Of course, the suggestion from others that you need four matched tires
is a very good one. The E30 is a high-performance car, but not forgiving
at all. Don't cheap out on the rubber...as you have experienced, a
little nickel-nursing on tires can result in a big body shop bill.

> > Where can I find out more about the situation?>

The best inclement-weather driving school I know of is the Bridgestone
Winter Driving School in Steamboat Springs, Colo. Their two-day program
is something like $900, with shorter lessons available (I think the
cheapest is half a day for $250 or so). They also sell a videotape with
driving tips that runs about $30. I have a copy and often watch it
before big snowstorms. They're on the web.

Russ Maki
'87 325ic