Re: intermittent wipers on E30

> > I'm having some intermittent wiper problems. Some times they work & some
> > times they don't. I've checked the relay & all seems fine their. I got
> > frustrated the other night in an Atlanta down pour and struck the bottom
> > of the steering column cover with the palm of my hand & presto, they
> > started working. I need to check the connection & ground on the steering
> > column. Can this be done without removing the steering wheel? If not,
> > what about the "airbag"?....and if I disconnect it or pull the fuse,
> > wont the SRS light come on?   Then it's a trip to the dealer to get it
> > reset..Right? Give me some help on this, guys.

I had the same intermittemt wiper problem on my '87 E30. As soon as I tightened up the screw
for the ground wire from the wiper switch it went away. I had to take off the steering wheel to
get at it, which was easy in my non-airbag car. I assume that you would also need to remove the
steering wheel of your airbag car to get at the ground wire or whatever else is loose. Since
airbags are dangerous and expensive, unless you KNOW how to work with them, I would pay the
price of having them, and give the problem to someone who has the skills and will take the
responsibility to do this job. Good luck.
Peter Cain
London, Ontario