M3 oil consumption

Hi,
   I have a '99 M3 with about 4500 miles driven in 3.5 months.  I have
consumed 2 to 2.5 quarts of oil so far.  There are no spots in my driveway
or my spot at work.  I have not noticed any smoke while driving (only by
observing the rear view mirror).  I broke the car in carefully and rarely
exceed 5k rpm.  I have hit 6k rpm only a few times.  About 1/3 of my
driving is up and down windy mountain roads, 1/3 on freeways and 1/3 on
traffic light controlled streets.  Initial comments from the service
department indicated that this is "normal" and that there is nothing they
care to do for me now.  I would appreciate any comments to educate myself
before the next round with the dealer (this does not seem normal to me!).
I would like to learn if this is indicative of a problem, if it will cause
long term problems or if it is an initial problem that will go away.  I
also have a choice of going to Stevens Creek BMW in Santa Clara, CA or
Allison BMW in Mountain View, CA, any opinions?  I am also close to Dinan
in Mt. View, are they licensed for warranty service?
Thanks in advance,
Jaime (in the Santa Cruz Mountains of N. CA)