A/C aftermath

To all who expressed an interest in my A/C problem, which was originally
described as:

Symptoms

1) When the A/C compressor button is depressed, cold air may or may not
start blowing (usually it does).

2) After a short time (anywhere from 30 seconds to five minutes), cold
air will stop blowing (that is, the fan keeps running but the air gets
warm and humid).

3) Turning off the compressor for five or ten minutes, then switching
back on will often provide cold air for another few minutes.

4) If the recirculation button is pressed while the system is blowing
cold air, it will often extend the time the air remains cold - sometimes

for hours.

System is fully charged - no leaks. When it's working, the system blows
ice cold air.

*****

Well, Dinan was right: replacing the dryer and the expansion valve did
the trick. If I had it to do over again, however, I'd replace the dryer
first and evaluate, as the expansion valve is much more difficult to
change out and seldom fails. My costs would have been about $200 less if
I'd done it that way.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions...pld