SuperChargers vs. TurboChargers

I have a 318TI black which is currently stock.  I'm thinking of investing
in a SuperCharger or a TurboCharger.  I'm not sure what is the difference
between the two.  And exactly what they do.  I don't want to get it
installed and find out a few months later that my engine life has been
reduced by 50%.  I want to know all the consequences and advantages of it.
I also want to know with what other components (ie. intake, filters,
exhaust, spark plugs, Performance Cards/Chips) do i have to use it with in
order to get the BEST performance out of my 318TI.

If anyone out there could give me some advice on what i can do to get the
best performance out of my car, please let me know.  I'm planning on being
able to out race GTI V6's, MR2's and Preludes / Accord Coupes.  (Of course
they are all stock. )

Thankx,
Gary D.
318TI 1995 Black