Re: Winter Storage

Hi Scott,

When working on my car, every now and then I have to disconnect the
battery. I'm afraid I also drain the battery on occasion. Each time, I need
to reenter the radio code and program the presets and  set the time and
date on the OBC. It really isn't a big deal - takes a few minutes. I
wouldn't worry about having to do that once a year. I have no idea how long
the SI board will retain it's memory, but I think long.  And if it loses it
so what?

Sure I'd like your snow tires, but I can't afford them yet. I'm sure you'll
find a buyer.

My car (325es) is from 1987 too and it has a basecoat (bronzitbeige) and
clearcoat. I assume yours is the same.

The bumpers are anodized aluminum. I think that if you can't polish the
discoloration off with some metal polish or something, you should probably
either forget about it or have a polishing shop re-polish and re-anodize
the whole thing. The surface of aluminum oxide is so hard it's almost
impossible to polish it and if you go through it, you just have soft aluminum.

If anybody on the list disagrees with any of this, please speak up.

Enjoy your wonderful car!

Michiel ('87 325es <http://www.vramp.net/~jmvw/cars/BMW/> )

At 10:49 PM 10/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all, I bought a real clean 1987 325i convertible this spring.
>As the previous owners did for nine of it's twelve years, I plan to
>store it during our Wisconsin winters. I have alwlays disconnected and
>sometimes even removed the battery when I have stored other cars.
>But with the radio security and SI system, am I better off just leaving
>it connected, and charging the battery say once a month?
>I don't look forward to having to reenter all the codes and stuff each
>spring.
>Will the battery last as long if it's left connected?
>Also, as I will not be driving in the snow, I really don't need the
>steel wheels with Pirelli winter tires that came with the car. Anyone
>interested? I live outside of Milwaukee, Wis.
>
>Two other quick questions: The color of this car is Zinnabarot.
>Did BMW use base/clear on solid colors back in 87? Or is is 'regular'
>paint?
>I have some discoloration on the left half of the chrome portion of the
>rear bumper. I assume it is from the exhaust. I haven't tried to polish
>it out yet. Anyone else seen this? What cleans it off?
>
>Thanks, Scott
>simpson@domain.elided

End of bmw-digest V9 #1242