Re: M5 spoiler effectiveness

In a message dated 9/28/99 1:54:13 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Do any of you know at what speed and under what conditions the spoiler
 becomes important?    >>
Some spoiler manufacturers print a graph which shows where and when a spoiler
operates. Basically, they don't start to grab air and produce downforce until
about 72 mph. The force climbs slowly as the car approaches 80, then climbs
rapidly to 90 mph, as I recall.
My personal experience with the E28 and the M5 spoiler I added after driving
the car several years was that it made a previously stable car rock solid
during lane changes at passing speeds (75-80). It also got me through the
kink at RA (100 mph) many times with nary a hint of a wiggle.
For todays M5 I would think a spoiler would be a no brainer unless you just
want the car for church on Sundays.
Just my opinions.
Fred Callender RMC