E30 Valve Adjustment

I recently had some engine work done on my 1984 325E.  It was stumbling
after it warmed up.  One of the things the mechanic told me was that the
valves were too tight.  He readjusted them, and installed an oxygen senso=
r.
 The car is running worse and the valves are noisier, to the point of
clattering as though there is no oil pressure especially when I down shif=
t.
 The mechanic says it is better to have noisy valves than to have them "t=
oo
tight".  This sounds a little suspect to me.  Can anybody offer
suggestions?
Scott