looking for a 318i

     Help!  I am looking for a 318i for a daily driver and getting no where
. I would like a 84 or 85 because that is my price range. The problem is
that most of the ads I read are (bang my head) like as follows... "84 318i
for sale exellent condition just needs head gasket..." Or "ec must see
needs transmition." What the hell is that anyway? I don't get it, doesn't a
car that needs something in "other than good condition" or is it just me?
If anyone knows of a good car or two out there at a reasonable price please
let me know!
Jon in Virginia