Oil Change

Hello all, I just have a question to whoever knows what to do: I have a 93
325i and I did my oil change about 6 months ago and just waited for the
lights on the dash board to tell me when I need to change oil again. It
happen to be 9000 miles later that my oil indicator asked for an oil change.
I noticed thought that the oil level is 2 quarts lower even though there are
no signs of leaking or oil burning. Does anybody know what's recommended as
far as the mileage between oil changes and also, is it normal for a car in
excellent shape to burn oil after 9000 miles. I know for sure that I will
never wait that long again, this was my first oil change on this car. What
do you BMW owners do for your cars

thanks for any response