Strange electrical fault

I'm from UK. Saw your list whilst looking for BMW help on a problem with my
E34 525 and wondered if the expertise that is so obviously out there might
suggest some answers or places to look. Thanks in advance for the
opportunity to post onto your list.

The problem is that for no apparent reason, my dipped headlight beams go out
and sometimes stay out: What I have noticed:
a)	Sometimes related to a rough road, as if its a loose conenction
b) 	Other times not related. Smooth road and just goes out.
c)	Circumstances in which it comes back on are just as varied.
d)	Sometimes seems heat-related. Warm engine, warm weather seems to worsen
the frequency of lights going out. Other times 	not.
e)	No obvious loose connections, although opening the fusebox, there are two
large black boxes (as opposed to the coloured 	relays). One is, I have been
told, the checking system circuits. Tapping the other sometimes affects
whether lights are 	on or off.
f) 	Some days works well all day, other days constantly going off or staying
off.
g)	No "Dip Beam" messages come up on the dash when the lights go out
h)	The only other "fault", which I am not sure is related is that sometimes,
the check system reports a tail light out, when there 	isn't.

No other faults - electrical or mechanical. Servicing is up to date. The car
is an un-modified 1989 SE model with switchable auto box etc and 104k miles.
Any suggestions, help etc. would be much appreciated as my local BMW agent
charges around 55 UK punds sterling per hour. Thank you in advance.

Ted Goodman
Wolverhampton UK