BMW E30 Repaired

I finally have my 87 325es back from the repair shop.  After a long story --
with respect to a seemingly spurious electrical charge -- the relays and
fusible link are repaired -- and the car seems to be running great.

However, today I went after a small fuel leak under and aft of the drivers
seat.  A line was leaking just behind the fuel filter.  It was hard to tell
whether it was a line or (what I think is the vibration dampener)???  I
replaced the fuel line on either side and noticed the dampener was pretty
rusty.  After reinstalling everything, I now have a visible spray coming form
the case of the dampener.  I have two questions:  Can you confirm that this
would be the dampener?  And, if so, how critical is it for a short period of
driving without it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom McPherson
87 325es