M3 Suspension Upgrades/Impressions

I received many questions about the suspension upgrade I had done on my 98 M3
Coupe.  I had enough that I thought I would post my response.

How's the ride quality, why did you do it, etc.

The ride quality is still great.  I use the car as a daily driver (about 100
miles/day).  The reason why I did it was I had a 91 Porsche Carrera 4 until
this may.  The thing was an absolute hoot to drive.  It even drove well in
the snow (SLC, UT).  The thing I liked most about it was the incredibly quick
turn in, with very little body roll.  I will admit it understeered a bit, but
it felt like driving a race car compared to everything else I drove.  I loved
it!

Well, it was getting close to 100,000 miles on it, so I determined it was
time to sell.  As far as my wife was concerned, the M3 was the most practical
sports car I could get (I have 3 kids and one on the way).  I knew the
performance figures (acceration, handling, etc.) were right there with the
911 and decided to switch "camps" (from Porsche to BMW).  I bought a 98 M3
Coupe that had the Dinan chip, Remus Exhaust, and the Dinan Cold Air intake
already installed...so the thing scooted and sounded great.  The only problem
was, even though I knew the skid pad gradient numbers were about the same for
both cars, the M3 felt (to me) a little sloppy because of the excess body
roll and the slow (comparatively) turn in.

The springs, sway bars, and the shocks did wonders!  I also added the X-Brace
and swapped the camber plates right to left, introducing another degree or so
of negative camber (didn't want to pay another couple of hundred for
adjustable camber plates).

The car now sticks better than the Carrera 4 ever thought about in its stock
suspension status.  Taking corners now gives the feeling that I driving a
vehicle in the supercar realm...forget that it can seat five and costs less
than half what most supercars cost...IT RULES!!!  :-)  (and my golf clubs
even fit in the trunk...just barely)

Matt
98 M3/Coupe