re: WD40

I hate to see these superstitions rising up from the mists.

WD-40 is an excellent product, and ideal for the application mentioned
below. It was originall desiged to displace water and retard corrosion, at
which it excels, but it is also a good penetrant, a effective and gentle
cleaner, and a fair lubricant. The only knock on WD is that it does not
have the film strength for lubing loaded mechanisms (would interfere with
the anticorrosion job) and that it gums when exposed to heat.

WD40 contains no silicones, is safe for all automotive finishes, and is
approved by the world's largest maker of automotive locks.

Of course there are better lubes and better penetrants, and a wax
compound is preferred in some corrosion applications, but I would sooned
be without Duct Tape than WD40.

- -Ted Crum
 1980 528i