Re:<e28> Temp sending sensor

Looks like you have a problem with the cluster unit. I had the same
problem with the gaze gauge. According to the Bentley BMW companion the
board that runs the gas and temp gauge have had problems and the only
solution is to replace that board or replace your instrument cluster
with on from a salvage yard.
I don't have my book in front of me but the article mentioned there was
batteries that would go haywire in the board. If you have the book, it's
in the first section of 5 car draw ( section pertaining to the 5
series).
You can easily purchase the board from the dealer and it's pretty easy
to change. If you need more info (procedure) let me know I have it
written down somewhere from a previous inquiry.

Marc
'85 535i 383000 km