325 transmission problems

The transmission (auto) in my daughter's 1986 325es is starting to go
out. The car frequently shudders when going from a standstill in first
and shifting into second. Once in higher gears, it is fine.  I don't
want to spend the big bucks for a remanufactured transmission, and am
trying to decide between having this one rebuilt or swapping out for one
from a salvage yard.  Any advice?  I had the local garage look at it,
hoping this problem was only an adjustment, or vacuum control problem,
but they said not.

Also, I just had the third starter put in, and the bendix stills whirrs
from time to time.  The teeth on the flywheel show wear, but normal
wear, nothing chewed up or missing that would cause the problem.  The
starters I have been getting are Worldwide remanufactured, and these
have a pretty good reputation I've been told.  The car will start fine 9
out of ten times, then whirr three or four times before it will start on
that tenth time.  Is there something else my garage is missing here?

Thanks,
Mike