1994 740i SRS light

My wife's car had the SRS light come on about 4 weeks ago.  1994 740i.  She
took it to her mechanic and he reset it telling her that that might fix it
and if it came on again, thet it would cost $1200 + labor to fix.  This
sounds a little high.

Any info on anything I can check?  Is it really that expensive?  He said the
passenger side bag was causing the malfunction, but when the light was on,
both bags were disabled.  Is that true?  If so, can the passenger side be
disabled and the driver side be made active?  There is hardly EVER a
passenger in the car.  And that is a lot oif moola to fix a bad bag.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
94 740i
84 533i