<E30> Engine temperature problems, help!

Hi,

I have a 1989 325i who's temperature is driving me nuts.  At highway speeds,
it's always at slightly above the 1/4 mark on the temperature gauge,
regardless of whether the AC is on and what the outside temperature is.  In
stop and go traffic, the temperature will settle on the 1/2 mark.
However, if you turn on the AC and are stuck in traffic, it will move toward
the 3/4 mark.  If it's hot out, then watch out... I usually shut off the AC
before it hits the 3/4 mark (sometimes it stops at 3/4, sometimes it will
start to move beyond it)

The radiator is relatively new, the auxiliary fan resistor was changed
recently, and according to my mechanic - who tried to stop the fan at
idle, told me that the fan clutch was ok.  The thermostat was also
changed very recently.  He said that this problem happened with older
cars sometimes because  the engine and cooling parts don't mate as
well and the heat transfer isn't as good.  Doesn't make a lot of sense
to me.

Can anybody offer any advice/help?  I would rather not go to the dealer since
they seem to be really out of control with their service prices.

Thanks.
- -K. Chan