air cleaner

Hello List!
I just tried a little air cleaner engineering, keeping the bottom half w/the
emissions tubing, etc, and replaced the top 1/2 w/, get this, a CHEESECAKE
PAN (Mom would be ticked, if she ever made cheese cake)!  I used the old
gasket from the original top 1/2 and drilled a hole in the top (the cheese
cake pan)to hold it down.  I'm pretty sure I got it sealed up, but now I've
got this growl coming from under the hood (air cleaner).  If there is in
fact a leak somewhere where I made this ridiculous mod, would growling be a
symptom, or is this normal?  It seems to be driving great; nice throttle
response, etc., just makes this growl when I start off, change gears, or let
up off the gas.  My Toyota p/u made a similar noise when I took it upon
myself to mess w/ the OE air cleaner, w/ no apparent drawbacks. I could go
into a long spiel about how I'm a 22 yr wanna-be engineer, enthralled w/
do-it-yourself-no training necessary, cheap mods, but I'd rather get your
opinions.  Am I going to seriously damage my car?  Is this
a good mod, assuming I got everything sealed around the air filter?

Josh  ATL, GA
'81 320i

End of bmw-digest V9 #1181