New to List / Looking for Tips on buying an older 325 (pre 82?)

Hi,

I'm new to this list and primarily joined to get info on buying a 325 (and
hopefully more info later if we get one on  how to maintain it, etc.).

I wanted to know if anyone out there has any advice on which years/models
325's to get and/or price ranges.  We are looking into the older body design
325/318  (pre 92?), but not too old.  Ideally, we'd like the car to have
less than 80 k or so...  The reason we're going older is that they probably
cost less than the newer style 325's.  But we don't want to go too old
either.  We also like the body style of those year (rounded headlights).
The newer design of the 92 and up is much more modern looking but the older
style and shape still looks good IMHO, kinda "retro" but doesn't really look
too out of style.  By roomate in college used to have one of these and it
was a high reving engine, but fun to drive and seemed to be very high
quality, both inside and out... I guess 325 is preferred as it is "one step
above" the 318.  I would suppose the engines and transmissions are also very
durable, am I right?

I read the FAQ and picked up the info about the head studs snapping.  So
this seems to rule out pre-89 325?'s?  Any other suggestions on which year
to get and what the approximate price range would be?  What about engine
durability and maintenance?  Is it fairly easy to work on these cars and/or
are there other "dangers" of certain years/models to watch out for like the
snapping head studs?

Thanks in advance.

Lyle