Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:43:04 -0700

Rick;
The reverse switch should be located in the transmission housing. I had that
problem on my 85 E30. I simply removed the connector, cleaned it with some
WD40 and reconnected it. That fixed it immediately. If that doesn't work,
short the two wires that plug into the sensor. If that makes the lights come
on, then your tranny switch is faulty, and I suspect that can be replaced
without having to drop the tranny. If it doesn't work, then you have a fault
in the harness somewhere that will have to be tracked down with a test
lights and/or continuity checks.

My bet is a dirty connector though. There's a lot of dirt and grime in that
area!

Best of luck!