RE: A/C Question

Thank you,
How do I check the oil in the compressor?
I'm still wondering, What cycles the A/C?
When you hit the ac button the compressor is engaged.
But what cycles it on off to maintain temp level, or
prevent ice up? Is there any electrical temp sensor in
the evap of my 86 325es? I will be pulling a long and
deep vacum when its ready to recharge.
Thanks again.
Ray

- --- ToMoyer@domain.elided wrote:
> Raymond,
>   There are 2 pressure switches, a low pressure and
> a high pressure.
> The low pressure switch will keep the system/clutch
> from engaging if
> there isn't enough freon in the system.  The high
> pressure switch will
> cut the system/clutch off if the pressure within
> gets too high.
>   If you have opened your system to replace parts,
> such as o-rings or
> major components such as the dryer or condenser,
> make sure that 1 you
> check the oil level in the compressor before
> recharging.  The
> compressors oil mixes with the freon/refrigerant and
> some is lost when
> the system leaks and/or is bleed.  And 2, pull the
> system down after
> adding the compressor oil and before adding the
> refrigerant.  By pulling
> the system down/vacuuming it, you are taking any
> moisture out of the
> system.
>
> happy motoring,
> tom
> '84 318i
> '91 318is

===
Raymond M.Wong
86 325es 130k miles Euro"i" head,Euro Manifold, JC Chip
87 535i  160k miles Currently dead :( fresh head w/new camshaft+ valve guides
bmwcca.