Gaz Gauge

I have a 1985 535i that has a shaky gaz gauge. The gaz level will show
the right level at startup. Once on my way, sometimes it's imidiate,
sometimes after 2-3 km. the gaz gauge falls a few notches down to show
less fuel than there really is. At the 1/4 mark the tank show empty. I
have to really on my computer to know remending mileage.
Somebody sugested it might be the onboard computer - change it and no
difference.
Anybody with ideas? please help before I run out of gaz again

Marc
'85 535i
377000 km
Montreal, Canada