Re: E30 wipers don't work

> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 14:09:42 -0600
> From: Steve Harmony <sharmony@domain.elided>
> Subject: E30 wipers don't work in rain
>
> Any idea why my '90 325iX wipers get flakey when it rains? They work fine
> when it's dry (big help), but when it starts to rain they sometimes refuse
> to work. If I futz with the controls for long enough they work sometimes,
> giving me a single wipe pulse once in a while. Seems to come and go, maybe
> turning the car off helps get them back on line. It's monsoon season in the
> Rockies. I NEED my wipers!
>
> Steve

Two likely problem areas, Steve, assuming the wipers sweep smoothly when
they do function: the relay and the switch.

The relay is a plug-in replacement. But they cost $40 or more, so maybe
you want to go after the switch first.

Pull the steering wheel (consult your Bentley shop manual), drop the
lower half of the steering column shroud and behold -- the wiper and
cruise control switches. Two screws remove them both, plus the ground
connection for the wiper switch.

I _seem_ to have resolved this problem by unbolting the wiper switch
(wiring connections are soldered, be gentle ) and spraying the internals
with a can of aerosol contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Spray, work the
lever back and forth, spray, etc. Cover your carpeting when you do this.
The stuff will stain.

When you're content that you've done enough damage with the contact
cleaner, clean up the ground wire with a little sandpaper to make sure
it's getting a good connection. In fact, you may want to ignore all the
previous stuff and try that first. Inspect the connector and use your
own judgment.

If that fails, you can drop in a new wiper relay...which didn't work for
me. In fact, I have a spare somewhere...email me if the switch treatment
doesn't work.
Russ