'84 318i power steering

john sez
>The power steering pump on my '84 318i was making a lot of noise when
>turning the steering wheel and not providing much power assist.  I removed
>the belt to the pump and the effort on the steering is still slight.  Was I
>getting any power assist?  Anyways, am I harming the steering rack?  Can I
>remove the pump from the engine and plug off the banjo joints on the
>steering rack?

e30 steering racks work very well without power assist..
e30 racks often leak..

when my rack started leaking I snipped the belt (as per advice of longtime
bmw mechanic) and have driven like that for 2yrs+ with no problems.

no you are not harming the rack

not sure why the power wasn't working.. fluid level ok? pump still working ?
lines clogged ?

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002