Re: Inspection Light

Joe,
There really isnt' a straight answer,  you can look at the list of
required actions in an inspection, highlight the most important (trans
oil change for example) then just ask the dealer to do just that.  You
have the needed work done but you might not have a nice stamp in the
service book :-(

I you like to keep 'good' service recods, you might do those dealer
inspections by the lights.  Cost is a little high, but again by the
light they don't happen this often...  Along with oil change receipts
between inspections and you have a nice set of service records for your
next cca member buyer :-)

Hope this helps..
Ash
red 325 w records, E28 without....

- - your wrote  ------
I have a 1994 325ia that my wife drives.  It just hit 38,000 miles and
the
Inspection Light came on.  I know its due for an oil change so I called
the
local BMW dealer and they said it needed a Inspection Tune up and they
want
$495 to do it.  My question is how do I know it really needs anything
other
thatn an oil change.  The car seems to run fine.  I know nothing about
cars
so its safe to say I probably wouldn't know if there was something wrong
any
way.   Should I fork over $500 to the dealer just to get and oil change
and
the lights reset.  Thanks in advance.