Runaway car-BMW Emulates Audi?

This happened to me, coincidentally on an '89 325i, which I had purchased
used several weeks before. I had "known" the car for years, changed the oil
and did the brakes for the owner, a woman who worked for me.

Driving uphill at about 1/3 throttle it suddenly just took off- scared the
p*** out of me, but I put in the clutch, threw it out of gear and turned off
the ignition. The revs got pretty high...

 I figured it as a cruise control problem, so I disconnected the cruise
control cable, made sure everything else worked freely, restarted it, no more
problems. Two days later I was idling at a stoplight near home, when it
started running very rough. To make a long story short, I found some sort of
plastic and metal debris holding one of the valves open.

The previous owner had the timing belt changed fairly recently, I fugure they
left something in the intake tract, where it probably languished until I
drove it at higher RPM than she did, eventually pulling it into the throttle
butterfly. Presto- unintended acceleration.

George W. Traminer