POWER STEERING NOISE on M6

My POWER STEERING UNIT in my 1988 M6 moans occasionally.

The unit was replaced about two years ago.

The unit works fine, most of the time, but occasionally it moans very lou=
for about five second and suddenly stops. While it moans I can feel
resistance
in the steering wheel. Then it is quite for a while, then it moans again
very loud
and again suddenly stops. It does not seem to getting more often, but it =
is

driving me crazy.

My mechanic can not determine the problem either.

He says normally when the unit start making noise, it is continuous.

He has replaced the filter in the unit and
he has changed the fluid to synthetic fluid with no resolution. =

Does anyone know if the system has to be air-free ? Can air in the system=

can cause it to moan occasionally ?

It act as if there is something in the system that temporally cuts off th=
fluid.air in the lines.

I am willing to replace the unit again if I thought it was the unit, but =
can't help to think
there is something else is wrong.

If anyone has any advise, please e-mail me.

Dennis Logan