Building a mut...(2002 hybrid)

I have done a little reading on the net and I am beginning to understand
that the 320i and the 2002 have a lot in common.  Engines and transmissions
are interchangeable, or just the tranny?  If I were to take a running 320
(that was cosmetically in horrible shape) how hard would it be to transplant
the innards to a 2002.  The one in question is a 71.  What parts could I
use?  Is it worth it?  I guess I would like to keep the 2002 body, the rest
can go.  I am a pretty cheap guy and I expect to have to get a pait job and
new interrior work done.  Other than that, can I just steal parts from
another heathy car.  Kinda like frankenstien, only bimmerstien.

Just a though.  Comments please.  Feel free to hit me at
baw2@domain.elided.

I have not invested any cash yet, but I am trying to get a cheap, well
running 2002.  My budget is less than 5k now and 5k later.  So I figure a
total of 10k for everything.  So what should I do?  I love the advice.  I am
learning more every day.

Brent

'94 740i
'95 325is (made offer, no answer yet)