'71 2002 value?

Hey everyone, I have an opportunity to purchase an old 2002.  It is a 71,
and is in pretty good condition, never been wrecked as far as I can tell.
The owner bought it new, but it has been in is garage for years.  He says
that he replaced the front fenders because of rust, and thats about it.
Other than a little rust on the surface around the chrome, it seems to be in
good shape as far as body panels.  Paint is oxidized and all, and he says
the front right suspension components are bent and need replacing.  The car
no longer runs, but I have seen it run in the past, about 10 years ago.
Anyway, he replaced the carb with a weber 2 barrel unit and had it painted,
but it wasn't that good of a job.  My question is:  What would you estimate
this car to be worth, and if I were to purchase it what kind of expense am I
looking at to restore it to a showroom condition.  If anyone has done this
let me know.  I anticipate that I will have to:

Paint the car
rebuild the top half of the engine
replace broken suspension components
replace clutch
purchase new chrome/body ornamnets.

I wan't to get an idea of what I am getting myself into here.  Is it worth
my time and effort.  It would be a weekend job and I would do everything but
the paintjob myself.  Is this too much for a handy weekender in your
opinions?  The plan is to make it a running work car first, then make it
something to be proud of.

Please email me with any comments:   baw2@domain.elided

Brent

'94 740i