<E30>Report: Replaced passenger side window regulator

Hello again,

Tonight I gave the passenger side power window a new window regulator. That
window used to go *tocktocktock* once it was all the way up. Apparently
this problem is not uncommon on these cars. It's caused by wear on one or
two loops in the coil that is the window regulator. The window still
worked, but I didn't like it and decided to fix it.

To be honest, the total replacement took me about 4 hours. Not because it
was so much work, but because I did something stupid. When you work your
way toward the window regulator, there's a plastic vapor barrier in the
door that needs to be removed. It's a thin plastic sheet with a sticky
adhesive on one side. I thought I'd clean it up and get the adhesive off
it. Oops, not smart. There's way too much adhesive to remove with Goof-Off,
so I spent the next two hours trying every household cleaning method to get
it off. I succeeded only in making it filthier.

I finally gave up and bought a roll of 6 mil plastic sheeting and cut out
the same shape from that. It's a little thinner then the old vapor barrier
(probably 8 or 10 mil), but that's fine. I used a spray adhesive to attach
it to the door.

The used regulator came from Zionsville Autosport and it's in great
condition. The window is nice and quiet now and goes up and down faster
then the driver's side.

Michiel (1987 325es http://www.vramp.net/~jmvw/cars/BMW/ )