Fluky throttle, dies.

Hiya Digesters,
    My '86 325es is doing a lot of acting up recently.  When under
throttle the car will sometimes loose power, then surge back, loose
power, surge... etc, etc.  Some days the car will be really powerful,
and only have the occasional brief power cutback, some days it could be
burned by a Yugo, occasionally surging forward.  The car has about
140,000 miles on it and I replaced the pressure regulator a couple days
ago with no effect.  (Last time I do something on the fuel system
without help :)
    Also, before I replaced the regulator, the car had begun
mysteriously dying.  It doesn't sputter, or complain, just BAM!  Dead.
I can be at any speed, at any rev, at any gear.  It just kills itself.
After it dies it's a bit more difficult to start than normal.  The only
kind of pattern it has is that once it dies once, it's likely to do it
again a few times in the near future.  It can go a day or two without
doing it, but then it will die three times in the next ten miles.  This
is getting downright dangerous...  Any ideas?

Thanks guys,
Robert Phelan
1986 325es