East Coast Induction Systems (ECIS)

Upon my arrival last weekend at Summit Point, WV; I anxiously awaited the
arrival of the "East Coast Induction Systems" personnel to install the
"production prototype" shielded cone system in my 97 M3.  I got to the track
in plenty of time and temperatures would be in the high 90's both days with
humidity in the 80% range.  I put took my students out for track orientation
and later went out for the instructor session with my B group student
sitting in the passenger seat.  I have been driving Summit Point for the
last 6 years and know the track well.  My training as a helicopter pilot
instructor told me that consistency was important.  Well, I was paying
special attention to my indicated exit speeds at three (3) locations on the
track.  The three locations were the (1) end of the front straight,(2)
uphill crest after turn 3 before the chute and (3) uphill after turn 9
before the bridge.  Below you will see my speeds noted after two sessions
without the new shielded cone intake. Traction control off when on track.

1) 115-117 mph
2) 82-85 mph
3) 75-80 mph

Sean Cain, arrived after my first two sessions.  He proceed to quickly
install the intake system from East Coast Induction Systems, I noted the
following in the instructor sessions and student rides that I gave:
1) 117-123 mph (required shift to 5th, never got fast enough before)
2) 85-90 mph
3) 80-87 mph (now required to early shift to 4th to avoid hitting rev limit,
DME is still stock)

I pulled into the pits and raised the hood and did a simple touch test of
the tube.  Hmm, "cool" to the touch on the cone side of the shield and hot
as Hades on the engine side.  Wish I had a temperature gauge, but hell, who
cares.  The car just seemed to "breath" better.  It was like a runner with a
stuffy nose getting a inhaler to clear to his sinuses.  But, I spoke with
Duane Collie about my experience and he thinks I was just driving better, he
thinks without a flash of the OBD II DME, no gains are possible.  Well, if
my mental attitude was changed by the simple installation of the kit and
gave me that addition speed, I'll take it.  I believe, however, that this
system really does work, at least at the track!  For me, that's where it
counts.

Mike Gayle
97 M3; H&R w/ Bilsteins, R/D sways, X-brace, Fikse (FM5) w/ 225/45-17
Kumho's, AA exhaust, ECIS, ACS Short Shift