Leaky shifter seal

Hi guys and ladies,

My E28 M5 has that nasty shifter seal leak and I'm getting a little tired
of the smell of burning oil (please no lectures on the evils and
dangers...I am fully aware), so I was wondering if anyone has had
experience in replacing the shifter seal in car.  I was hoping that I could
do this when I pulled the tranny to replace the clutch (bought the kit
years ago at a bargain price thinking it would be soon) but that damn thing
just keeps a-clutchin'-along.

Can I do this from the top (inside the car through the shift lever access
hole) or do I need to get dirty and grimy under the car?  Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5