RE: bmw-digest V9 #1118

I had a similar clunk when I changed gears in my car.  It turned out that I
had lost one of the bolts on the differential, which allowed the other bolts
to loosen and to let the differential housing move.

Took only 15 minutes to diagnose and fix at the dealer (though I had to
sweat it out for a couple of days since I was at Penn State on a weekend
when it started happening!)

Hope this helps.

Dave
'98 M3/4