Re: what are TRX's?

McCollum writes:

<< Does anyone know what TRX's are? my car has brand new michelins-- 220 55
 R 390 TRX...these don't show up on the michelin web page. are they just
 european versions? are they better? worse? more/less expensive?
 thanx in advance, >>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

	TRX's are a metric sized wheel/tire that are not compatable with
standard (15", 16",etc.) sizes.  So Michelin and, maybe Avon are the only
ones that still sell them (read: expensive).  About 15 years ago, they were
considered a good performance tire, but not by todays standards.  They were
also available on a few other makes--a couple of Fords had them, also.  If
you want to change to any other type of modern tire you'll need to change
wheels also, which in most cases is a better deal anyway.  TRX's cost almost
twice what a good performance 15" or 16" tire costs these days.  You say
yours are brand new--if you're happy with their performance, I'd just stick
with them until they need replacement.  When they wear or if you want more
performance, you could find some used standard size wheels from another BMW.
The last time I checked, that size TRX cost about $170 ea., on the other
hand, a 225/50 ZR 16" Dunlop SP Sport 8000 cost about $85 ea. from the Tire
Rack.  The Dunlop is a FAR superior tire in every aspect except maybe snow,
which is why I keep my old set of TRX wheels/tires in the basement until
winter.

Good Luck,
Robert Ledesma
'88 535is