Got my 325 iX !!!

Everyone,

Well, I finally have a BMW.......but first a little about me.  I am 22,
just graduated from college, 4 weeks into my working career, and am living
with my family for awhile still while I save up some $$ for a house.

This vehicle was originally supposed to be a winter vehicle for my dad, but
we all love it and want to drive it, so it will be shared by all.   I might
even get to drive it some, I think!

Just a day after I posted to this list asking how to find an iX, I found
one in the local paper, went and looked at it, and bought it.  It is a:

1989 BMW 325 iX AWD
2 door
charcoal black with black leatherette interior
automatic trans (wish it was a stick but oh well:>)
All the standard iX items....PW/PL/AC/Cruise/Cassette/Sunroof
122,000 miles.  Overall excellent condition, price was great.

Comments thus far.....

AC is inoperable, which we were aware of upon purchase.  Figured that for a
primarily winter car, AC is not a big deal.

Rims are all in nice shape, including spare.

Body gets a 95%,  Some small stone chips, no dents, no big scratches.  Only
rust at all is at the spot weld along the inside back edge of the
trunk-lid. (right above the license plate).  It is probably not completely
fixable, but can be slowed down and is not on the outer surface of the
trunklid yet.  Figuring the car will need paint eventually and I will
replace the trunklid with a new one at that point.

Interior 100%.  Not a flaw on it, except one missing screw:>)

Mechanically seems excellent.  Service records for the past 2 years,
nothing major replaced.

No idea when the timing belt was replaced.....it will be done this week by
the BMW dealer, until I can find a reputable import garage.

Underside looks good, small leaks front and rear which will be fixed if
needed---BMW will inspect the car when they replace the timing belt and we
will go from there.  Dont want the front diff to run dry and need to be
replaced.  4wd works **great** on it--cannot break it loose on gravel.  ABS
seems to work as well.

Things I plan to do now:
- --Timing Belt (water pump @ same time????)
- --Order a Bentley service manual (the best, right??)
- --Rear diff. seal
- --Power antenna replaced
- --Fogs are inop, one lens cracked.  Will try new bulbs and one new lens.
- --Other very minor things.......

Things I dream of doing soon:

- --Performance chip
- --K&N Intake
- --Performance exhaust
- --Possibly better tires........

***Questions***
1.  Timing belt to be changed this week by BMW.  Should I have the water
pump done at the same time?  No noise from it as of yet, but I want the car
to be 100% come winter.

2.  Is the Bentley manual the one to buy?

3.  Car is running 185/65 M+S Mastercraft tires on it.  Brand new, though
kind of an off-brand.  Main concern is winter driving......I might want to
order separate snow tires/rims from the Tire Rack (have to make sure it
will fit an iX).  Would kind of like to run nice Michelins or Pirellis for
the summer.....maybe someday.

4.  P.O. just put a new muffler on the back, but it is only a
single-tailpipe model.  Looks kind of goofy in the double-width opening,
plus I wonder if it has more backpressure, thus lowering HP on the car as
it originally had a two pipe muffler???.  Should I be getting rid of this
muffler because of this?

5.  Regarding #4, I want a performance exhaust on the car anyway.  Deeper
note, **not** loud, blatty, or obtrusive.  Long-lasting, not super
expensive.  What should I buy?

6.  K&N filtercharger intake.  Worth it for this car???

7.  Performance chip.  Which to buy?  Bavarian Autosport or other?

8.  Stock radio.  Will an aftermarket stereo fit in an iX or would I be
best to get an aftermarket CD changer for the trunk?

9.  Speaking of the trunk.......it has an aftermarket battery.  Remember
reading something about using non-BMW batteries...is this a problem, and
how can I check to see if I am OK or not?

10.  Where to get a new trunk lid?

11.  Which catalogs, other than BAS should I get?

***What an awesome car!!!!!!***  Wish I could have one of these in addition
to my new GMC Sierra!!!

That is all for now.....thanks to all for your help--I'm new to the whole
BMW scene, but here to stay.  Hoping to find myself a  5-speed iX someday,
or maybe buying this one from my dad in a few years!  In the meantime, I
get to do some mods to it with funding from myself, sister and dad, and get
to drive it sometimes!

Ben

89 325iX