Re; E36 irritation

I agree Matt - squeaks & creaks can be very annoying - and they do take the
shine off that new car.

If it makes you feel any better I have a 97 540 and yes that is he same
issue I have.

Problem is that the car is actually much quieter running than previous cars,
but it has tighter tolerances on the interior components, and you do hear
any small creaks.

You will be lucky to have the dealer solve your problem - unless it is an
obvious single fault.

I have spend quite a bit of time gradually resolving all the little creaking
areas in my car.

On the leather parts I make sure they are treated with conditioner -
especially where leather rubs on leather ( between seat bottom and seat
back. .

Wherever plastic components rub on any other plastic or metal I applied some
Teflon based clear lubricant . The kind I use is called "Super Lub" - these
types of lubricants are usually available from auto parts stores - often
used for brake components.

To apply it I have gradually removed many components, looked for where there
are possible areas of movement and then applied the lubricant on the
components before re-assemble.

I have done:
- - inside all four door panels , including blinds.
- - door lock catches.
- - pulled parcel shelf and C pillar panels
- - interior of trunk and trunk subfloor (it is a plastic insert in the E39)
- - seat rails
- - some dash controls and switches.

In the 5 series the package shelf is held in place at the window edge by
large plastic tabs on the vent grills - they slip down and back into metal
clips. One of mine was not in the clip because the clip was misaligned. This
may not be your problem but it is the type of thing to look for.

Some places I also used some foam & rubber padding to stop some vibrations.

Also make sure you keep the seals around the doors and sunroof lubricated
with a vinyl lubricant (something that does NOT have silicone)

While these things really bug me - I would still buy the car again - the
powertrain has been almost flawless.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada