New "new 3 Series" recall

Thought this was of interest, both from a consumer safety and a BMW
business standpoint. Just got this of the German news wire:

Deutsche Welle, 27.05.99, 20:00 Uhr UTC Nachrichten
 >MUENCHEN: Zum zweiten Mal innerhalb weniger Monate ist der BMW-
 >Konzern zu einer grossen Rueckrufaktion gezwungen. Wegen Sicherheits-
 >Maengeln bei Airbags und Bremsen beorderte das Unternehmen alle
 >weltweit verkauften 280.000 Wagen der neuen 3-Reihe in die
 >Werkstaetten. Erst im Oktober waren 2,4 Millionen BMW wegen
 >Verletzungsgefahr durch Kuehlerdaempfe zurueckgerufen worden. BMW
 >rechnet fuer die neue Aktion mit Kosten von bis zu 15 Millionen Mark.

Ok, so that probably doesn't make any sense to most of you, but I figured
I'd include it as source for the few German able bodies around *-)
Basically BMW just announced that they will be forced into recalling all
280,000 cars sold worldwide of the new 3 series due to safety concerns with
the airbag and braking systems. This follows a massive recall in Oktober of
2.4 million BMWs. The costs for the new action is expected to reach 15
million German Marks (very roughly 10 million dollars).

		_Mike_ (old series '97 328i "AU2BAN")