To Stephen Smith RE: E24 quit

I have gone thru the same situation with my '87 M6. I thought that the fuel
pump(s) failed because the car would occasionally buck or surge while
driving at a sustained speed. Then one day, it flat quit. A few moments
later it re-started and got me home. Troubleshooting got nowhere. The next
day it quit again but this time it was hauled home. I really flunked the
troubleshooting test this time-finally realized _NO SPARK_. There was some
signal coming thru to the coil but not the usual waveform.

I removed the ECU and found that the solder around ALL three leads from the
power transistor going down to the PCB were cracked. I resoldered these
leads and the car has run fine ever since.

You must remove the entire PCB assembly from the aluminum base plate to get
at the bottom of the main PCB where the trouble is. A word of caution! When
removing the 2 screws that hold the connector to the base plate. These
usually have Loctite and may spin the insert thru the connector. Soften the
Loctite with a suitable solvent first. Make sure all the pieces that hold
the transistor assemblies on both sides of the PCB get attached correctly,
these transfer heat to the base plate.

Good luck

Ed

96 740 --gone