E-30 airconditioning question

I have a 1986 325 (it does not have the "e" on the trunk badge, but does have
an eta engine).  Recently the air conditioner system has been blowing
unchilled air while driving at low speeds and while Idling.  After a trip to
the A/C shop, I am told that the condenser fan is not functioning, and the
pressures seem high.  It is not leaking.  When I got it home, I checked the
obvious things - fuses etc.-All re O.K. When I started it next the fan came
on and operated correctly.  The next time it wouldn't come on at all.  An
intermittent electrical fault is my tentative diagnosis.  The A/C put out
lots of COLD air at normal cruising speed 75-80 mph.  I guess the ram air is
enough to carry away the heat from the condenser.  Does anyone have any ideas
on where to look for bad switches, relays, etc., or other possible culprits?
My BMW repair books are remarkably vague about A/C systems on theses things.
Any help will be appreciated.  Please e-mail me privately at
<<Scott52295@domain.elided>> to avoid WOB.

Thanks!!

Scott Walker
1986 325 w/220,000 miles
1990 Jeep Cherokee
(I know the proper fix for this A/C problem is to stop whining and just drive
fast.  Unfortunately, my wife and the local law enforcement community seem to
have problems with this eminently logical approach.) ....grin....

- --part1_f95d7001.2475d8a7_boundary--