Looking @ a Compact

Fellow BMW Digesters...

After a discusion about a month or two ago about whether to purchase an E36 3
series, I came to the conclusion that it was a little too steap for my budget (here in
France you can buy 2 NEW Citroen Saxo VTS (83,000 FF each, 120hp, voted
2nd best "handling/feeling" car in the world by Richard Burns & Jeremy Clarkson)
for the price of 1 USED BMW E36 (323/25i)(of two to three years age,
160,000 FF). SO... I said I was going to buy a Subaru Impreza... However, the
only Impreza offered here in France is the 276hp Colin McRea Special:
149,000 FF used.....

So, for that amount of money, I figured what the hell, buy a Compact!!
(BMW Kompakt that is). Also known in the States as the "ti" or the hatchback
version of the 3 series. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the
Compact, good or bad. I'm looking at the 318ti (140 hp in Europe) version.

If you can please help, send me an e-mail at:   mark@domain.elided

Thanks!

Prost!
Mark